Paper doll Costume designs

During one media lesson, the objective was to design costumes on paper dolls to suggest a particular genre. The rest of the class then ...



During one media lesson, the objective was to design costumes on paper dolls to suggest a particular genre. The rest of the class then had to guess which genre your paper dolls were attempting to portay through their clothing/accessories.   

I was chosen to demonstrate a crime/police genre. Therefore, in order to make it obvious, I dressed the male paper doll with a stripey unifrom to simply  imply he is a prisoner. This also looks similar to  traditional prisioner unifrom in the early 1900's and late 1800's. I also added him with an eye mask to suggest he was a mysterious/secretive criminal.  I also dressed the female character in police inform, which instantly implies its category of film types. I based her costume off American police uniform, as most crime films are based in America.

However, if I were to make it harder for others to guess my precise theme, I would not dress my paper dolls in cliché costumes that distinctively represents the genre. Relating to modern life, anyone could be a criminal. This suggests that they could look like an ordinary person wearing ordinary clothes. As well as this, in the modern world many prisoners atypically wear a colour scheme which is distinctive  compared to staff and visitors, although most countries have different variations of their dress code. 
The police woman, on the other hand, I would have kept the same, otherwise it would take a long time to guess my genre if I dressed her in another way. The police force is a necessary part to guessing a crime/police genre as they are all included in media relating to that. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images