Narration in film

Narration is the action and process of telling a story (narrative). This could be a monologue, a commentary or a written record displayed by...

Narration is the action and process of telling a story (narrative). This could be a monologue, a commentary or a written record displayed by a particular shot. The narrator in the film is usually one of the main characters. Narration is highly useful in indicating the audience of what is happening and is an efficient method of introducing the characters, as well as giving an insight of the narrator's viewpoint on the story. 

Examples of the use of narration

Comedy: The Breakfast Club (1985)



Horror: Carrie (2013)



Action: Fight club (1999)



Drama: Forrest Gump (1994)



Romance: Love Actually (2003)




I think that an effective piece of narration would be keeping the context minimal. This is because I believe that it's better to show the story than to tell it - otherwise the film would wander towards an audio book approach. Keeping the narration vague will also keep the audience engaged with the film. The narration's language has to be understandable and require important information so the viewer will not get confused on what the narrator is attempting to imply. I also feel as though the narration would have to be clear and easy to understand/hear - this can easily be achieved by using a recording studio so it can be layered over the film.

Narration is not something I am contemplating for my own coursework, as I feel as though I can present the narrative of my film  through dialogue instead. However, if I continue Media to A2, I will certainly consider using narration in my 10 minute film, depending on the genre i decide to base it on. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images