Evaluation Question 6

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product? Of course, technology was a very significant facto...

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?


Of course, technology was a very significant factor in the construction of this product. However, I learnt a lot about the Adobe software Premiere Pro when putting the shots together. Before AS Media Studies I had no prior experience with this software, so I had to learn everything about it from scratch. Before the creation of my film opening I only knew how to insert and cut shots. Therefore, my rough cut only consisted of simple editing. However, I wanted my two minute opening to look professional and finished, so I added indents, the titles of the production companies & the film title, music/sound effects, transition effects and special effects. In order to include and create these assets successfully, I had to experiment with different options in Premier pro and see what they did.

First of all, I added indents of the actors' names in different areas of my opening. I did this by clicking on 'Add item' in the bottom left corner of the screen and then 'Title'. I wrote in the name of one of my actors and chose the font to be Bangla Sagnam in the size 42 pt. I positioned the text in the bottom right hand corner so it will not get in the way of the content in the centre of the screen. Finally, I duplicated the show a few times and changed the text of each one individually so the indents for each actor name were aligned in the same position. 

It was very simple to add music and sound effects to my film opening. I went on Youtube.com/audiolibary/music and downloaded some songs from there. All its content was copyright free. Once the chosen files were downloaded onto my computer, they came up on iTunes. Then, all I did was drag the songs from iTunes into the shots tab of my opening in Premiere Pro. I cropped the music in the same way you would crop the filmed shots. 

Adding transition effects is a less complex procedure than the other two techniques above. To add a faded out effect, all I did was that I went on "Effects" > "Video Transitions" > "Dissolve" and then "Cross Dissolve". I held my cursor on it and dragged it to the shot I wanted the effect to be on. Double clicking on the transition enabled me to alter the duration of the effect. 

As shown in my film opening, a text message box arises in a shot of Polly on the phone. I searched tutorials on how to add a text message in a video yet all of the templates used in them were brought. I took inspiration from a video I discovered of someone simply deleting the background of a screen shotted text message in Photoshop and saved it as a PNG. Therefore, I texted myself the message notification from my character 'Liam Chapman', took a screenshot and emailed it to myself. I opened it in photoshop, used the quick selection took around the text message and hit delete. The file was then saved as a PNG so the space around the text box would be transparent. Then, on Premier Pro, I went on 'Title' > 'Graphic' > 'Insert Graphic' to transform the image into my film opening sequence. 

Therefore, I have learnt quite a lot about technologies and how to construct a video in Premier Pro. I have also learnt that Premiere Pro was not an easy piece of software to use as it many of its components are not very clear. However, I think that I have learnt plenty of useful techniques from constructing my product in Premiere Pro that I will certainly take on board for future media projects. Apart from this, I do not think that I have learnt about other technologies through creating my film opening as I already knew how to film on my SLR camera. 





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images