Filming Review

Filming Day 1: Monday 15th February 2016 What worked/didn't work well? Overall, filming the phone call and restaurant scenes went we...

Filming Day 1: Monday 15th February 2016

What worked/didn't work well?

Overall, filming the phone call and restaurant scenes went well. There was not much that did not work well, except that the tall tripod I borrowed from school was missing its saddle plate and therefore my camera could not be screwed onto it. This did not effect the filming process too much at the beginning as I brought a smaller tripod with me to film on. However, it was not very useful when it came to filming aerial/side profile shots as me holding the camera on the tripod caused it to slightly jiggle. I do to think this affected the quality of some shots to a significant extent but I am concerned whether it will look more noticeable when it comes to the editing process. However, I doubt these particle shots will need to be re-taken and I am aware that it will be a big ask to arrange another day to re-film them. I also came across an issue of my camera not focusing on John in low light in the restaurant. This resulted in some shots looking slightly blurry/out of focus. Apart from this, I feel as though the other shots I took of Charlotte  and Zoe worked well as the lighting made the complexions high quality. 

Everything generally ran smoothly as I filmed shots in one location at a time. This added organisation to managing my time well. There were no disagreements between me and my actors, although Charlotte often misread her lines and got distracted by looking at John's reaction to her acting whilst filming the restaurant scene. However, it was not a major issue and it did not waste too much time. I directed my actors what lines to say and how to say them, and they did what they were told to do. 

I did not make too many changes to my script/characters/costumes whilst filming. However, I did make a few changes to my script last minute as my actors gave me some good suggestions (described on my final script draft post). 

I also used my storyboards to good effect, as I feel as though the shots I took were very similar to how I drew them on my storyboards.

Filming Day 2: Thursday 25th February 2016

What worked/didn't work well? 

Overall, I am very pleased with how smoothly filming went. We all felt relaxed and had no pressure to make each shot accurate the first time round. This is because we did not have a time deadline unlike Day 1, when we had to finish recording the phone scene before our allocated time slot at the restaurant. Everything worked well as planned - filming  these two scenes was not as complex as Day 1. When filming the makeup scene, It was important to make sure that nothing unrealistic was in the background. Unlike the first day, we were also given a tripod that worked and extended to the height we wanted it to be. Without it, I could not have effectively filmed the scene of Zoe getting out of the car. My camera's battery began to die towards the end of the session, but luckily I managed to catch all of the shots I needed. The only trouble I found with filming the burglary scene, was that my camera stubbled to focus in minimal light. This was an issue that occurred last time. However, I managed to overcome this situation by Zoe turning on the light in the car, allowing my camera to focus on her face, and then turn the light off when necessary whilst filming. Nothing needs to be refilmed as I feel as though I captured my storyboard's perception of my opening. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images