Location Research

For my film opening, I only needed 2 locations - inside/outside a house and in a restaurant. I am using both interior and exterior locations...

For my film opening, I only needed 2 locations - inside/outside a house and in a restaurant. I am using both interior and exterior locations to suit the atmosphere of the scenes and to creature diversity within my opening. Finding a house to film would be rather simple as I would only have to ask one of my female actors if I could film inside two rooms and outside their front door. Finding a back up house location would not be too difficult to find as I am happy to film within my own house. However, to find a place to film inside a restaurant is a more complex strategy. This is because I would need to contact one of the managers to ask permission to film within their premises. 

I wanted to find a restaurant/bar that would be easy for my actors to reach. I searched 'restaurants in Wymondham' in a search engine and I gathered names & contact details: 

The Green Dragon, Wymondham


- One of the oldest pubs in the Country 
- Food stock is sourced from local meat, fruit and vegetable suppliers
- Friendly service is assured 

Opening hours: 

- Monday - Thursday: 12:00 - 23:00
- Friday - Saturday: 12:00 - Midnight
- Sunday: 12:00 - 22:30

Contact details:

Phone: (01953) 607907
Address: Green Dragon, 6 Church Street,Wymondham, Norfolk, NR18 0PH

The Railway Station Cafe, Wymondham

- You can take a step back in time and experience the delightful train carriage setting for your refreshment/meal 
- Offers delicious homemade food 
- Caters for children, vegetarians and celiac customers 

Opening hours: 

- Open Everday Except Tuesdays from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM (Fridays & Saturday until 9:30PM)

Contact Details: 

Phone: (01953) 606433
Address: Station Bristo, Station approach, Wymondham, Norfolk, NR18 OJZ 
Email: stationbistrowymondham@btconnect.com

The Feathers, Wymondham


  • Offers 3 regular types of beers: Adnams Southworld Bitter, Fuller's London Pride, Greene King Abbot
  • Possibly has the best beer garden in Wymondham 
  • Records of the Feathers existing date back to the 18th century - an excellent example of a cosy market town local


Contact Details: 

Address: The Feathers, 13 Town Green, Wymondham, Norfolk NR18 0PN
Phone: (01953) 605675

Opening times 

- Monday - Thursday: 1:00AM - 2:30 PM, 7:00PM - 11:30PM
- Friday: 11:00AM - 2:30PM, 6:00PM - Midnight
- Saturday: 11:00AM - 2:30PM, 7:00PM - Midnight
- Sunday: 12:00PM - 2:30PM, 7:00PM - 10:30PM

Robert Kett Pub, Wymondham

- Includes pool and darts 
- Holds regular live music nights and occasional discos
- A family friendly pub 

Opening times: 

Everyday: 11:30AM - 11:00 PM (Except Sundays: 11:00AM - 11:00PM)

Contact details:
Address: The Robert Kett, Wymondham, NR18 OHH 
Phone Number: (01953) 602957

Bird in Hand (Wreningham)

- 1 Mile away from Lotus cars and 7 miles south of Norwich
- Friendly and confident staff
- Atmosphere of a traditional British pub, as well as a large parking area, indoor and outdoor seated areas, restaurants, accommodation and a bar areas. 

Opening times:

Every day: 12:00AM - 11:00 PM

Contact Details: 

Phone number: 01508 489438 

I selected these locations as they are all appropriate for the atmosphere I am aiming to achieve in my opening. They are all suitable places for a date between two young people and they are not too fancy/expensive, otherwise that would be unrealistic and more suited for older couples. The decor and compositions within the restaurants are also clean and pleasant as I have visited all of them before. My actors would be able to access these locations as well as one of our houses as we all go to Wymondham High School/I do not live too far away from any of my friends. 

Weather conditions are also an important factor to consider when it comes to location to film in - however, the conditions of the weather do not really matter within my opening. This is because the majority of my film opening is based inside. The only scenes when I will be filming outside is when my character Millie breaks into Polly's house, and when Liam picks up Polly and they walk to his car. The time of the day when I film is what matters more as I need to film those scenes when it is dark outside. This adds more realism to my opening and it's script as it is common for dates and robberies to happen in the evening. The time of the day is also an important factor that affects the availability of my actors as they may not be free in the evenings of scheduled filming days. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images